Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"We Wooped your Butts, Castanos" and "Oh Christmas Tree"

No matter what they say, "We WON" again this year, Castanos. We have a tradition of "racing" the Castanos, from our ward, to St. Nicks Tree Farm on the Friday after Thanksgiving to cut down our trees. The smack talk begins months prior, "we're gonna win", "uh,uh, we're gonna win." To the point that I don't get any sleep the night before because I'm having either a nightmare about losing or a fantasy about winning the race. Last year we beat. Here are a couple photos from LAST year as proof (they forget easily):
Above: I know not a flattering pic of me, but its all for proof I say. Below: Sad Castano children faces when they realize defeat lies in their laps this year.
So, the frenzy was on again this dreary, rainy, Friday morning (I'll take the crisp sunshine from last year, thank you!). And the Leavens' did it again! We even did it with Paul's parents and Tami and family in tow - 11 people all crossed the finish line BEFORE the 5 sad Castanos. Proof is here, in order from front, US, Tami and Co, and Castanos - LAST!:



In spite of Parker Castano trying to cheat (he's the person in the middle far in the back of the below picture) by running ahead of the line to physically cross the finish line. But "NO," the rules explicitly state that the entire "FAMILY" must cross the finish line "TOGETHER!"
And while it was VERY close, we will NOT concede to a tie as they tried to negotiate, but we will give you an ALMOST and GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR!!So, once that was done, it was time to get down to the business of harvesting a Christmas Tree - in the RAIN this year! Aaron wanted to give it a whirl - he tried for a bit, but then turned the saw over to Paul to finish it off - give him a few more years and he'll be able to finish the job!
The Castanos chose another HUGE tree. Not quite as big as last year's, but gigantic nonetheless. It's Parker's job to do the dirty work for their family:
Standing around for moral support: Brianna, Brittany, Doris, Lefty, Taylor and Kenzie - It's all about looking good in the rain people!
Sunday, after the last of our company left, we began the job of lighting and decorating. I'm the lights putter onner - "why is this always my job?"
The kids get a new ornament each year. Here they are showing them off before finding the PERFECT spot on the tree. Brianna with her "I LOVE Blue" ornament:
Aaron with his Santa on skis:
Kenzie with her "It's very ME!" ornament
And Carly with her "Very Carly Pink Pig" ornament:
Then Paul tops it all off with the star...
...and we're DONE!

Let the Season BEGIN!

2 comments:

Becca said...

That's a really good picture of the kids. I wish I was there so I could have my own ornament. Will you come decorate my tree for me please!

Lynelle Klein said...

You have NO idea how much I miss St Nick's tree farm. That was one of our very best family traditions.

Loved the pictures, though.